In this episode, Jonas is trying something new. Instead of talking to a data professional, he will talk about one topic he researched. This episode’s topic will be Data Literacy.
Jonas tackles the question of what Data Literacy is. He then covers why data literacy is essential and presents steps on how to become more data literate.
This episode is based on multiple online resources found in the “Ressource & Links” section.
Let Jonas know what you think of this format by messaging him on LinkedIn.
You don’t need to know how to code, create models, or create an algorithm to be data literate.
You need to understand where data comes from, what it tells you, how the data is presented, and the other person’s goal.
The four components of Data literacy (from Jordan Morrow )
- The ability to read data with data
- The ability towork with with data
- The ability toanalyze with data
- The ability to argue with data
[01:26] – What is Data Literacy?
[03:41] – Why is Data Literacy important?
[07:15] – How do you get Data Literate?
[09:41] – Conclusion
Resources & Links
- Photo by Susan Yin on Unsplash
- The Data Literacy Project
- QlikTech Data Literay Report
- Data Literacy on Wikipedia
- HBR Article: Boost Your Team’s Data Literacy by Josh Bersin and Marc Zao-Sanders (published Feburary 12, 2020)
- Gartner Articles: A Data and Analytics Leader’s Guide to Data Literacy by Kasey Panetta (published Feburary 6, 2019)
- Purdues Definition of Data Literacy (found on renaissance.com)
- Intervie with Alan Schwarz
- Jordan Morrow about Data Literacy (Video)
- 100 Most Useful Excel Functions to Learn